Colour in Kitchen Renovations
Whether you want new cabinets or to paint your walls, you might want to try using colour differently. The colour palette – you choose helps set the tone of the entire kitchen, and you want to make sure that it is consistent with your vision.
Remember that the overall kitchen aesthetic is not just about paint colour on the walls. You also have to consider the colour of the cabinets, countertops and flooring. If you are planning to change the colour palette, you need to tie together all the colours for the kitchen to have a pulled-together, clean look.
There is no right way to colour the kitchen, but a few easy tips can help you get on track. Check out these current trends:
- Match grey-painted cabinets with rich wood-toned walls or moulding.
- Combine classic white cabinets with black appliances and countertops.
- Add unique, eye-catching colour pops on walls, the counter or sink.
- Use light-and-dark tiles on walls or the
Keep the countertops neutral to help the paint and backsplash colours stand out.
Functional Kitchen Renovation
A kitchen may have a beautiful colour palette and advanced appliances, but these won’t matter if the layout doesn’t meet the needs of a homeowner’s lifestyle. Consider these tips for making the most of the kitchen space.
- Traditional vs. Workstation Layouts: Traditional layouts work for small kitchens or if only one person usually cooks, but workstation layouts are better for large spaces or for more cooks.
- Kitchen zones: Determine which areas are for prepping and cooking. You might consider adding a beverage station or an area for guests to socialise.
- Island design: This is where you prep food and add extra storage and informal seating. Whatever the design, make sure that there’s enough space for traffic flow.
- Flooring: Make sure that your flooring is optimised for easy maintenance in case of spills. Timber flooring is an excellent choice, because this type of material is easy to clean and maintain.
- Storage: Use every available space in your kitchen: multi-tiered drawers, drawer organisers, rollout trays in base cabinets, corner cabinets in unused areas.
- Lighting: Optimise your ambient, accent, decorative and task lighting to work together for a well-lit kitchen.
Cost Savings in Kitchen Renovation
A kitchen renovation is a major undertaking, and it usually doesn’t come cheap. However, it doesn’t have to be budget-busting either. Here are some tips that can help you remodel your kitchen while controlling costs.
- Create a plan. How you typically use your kitchen will guide your design choices. Think about the activities you do most often in the kitchen, as well as the efficiency of your existing appliances. Come up with a budget and stick to it.
- Find the right suppliers and materials. The right suppliers will help you find the right materials and kitchen appliances at excellent prices. For example, Tile Importers recommends budget-friendly ideas to get the look you want.
- Keep the same layout. If possible, avoid moving any existing plumbing and appliances. For example, moving a sink would mean pulling up your kitchen floor to move the drain line. This adds a full day of labour, which, in turn, bumps up your costs.
- Consider doing it yourself. If you don’t mind putting in the effort, consider doing some of the simpler tasks yourself. For example, it’s easy to demolish cabinets or flooring as long as you have the right tools. You can also add a personal touch by painting the walls yourself or repurposing fixtures.
- Remodel in stages. Spread out remodel costs by doing certain projects at later dates. This gives you enough time to save before the next project. For example, low-cost tasks like adding glass to cabinet doors may be done at any time. On the other hand, changing hardware is costly and time-consuming, and may need to be delayed so you can save enough money.
Get Kitchen Kitchen Renovation Design Help
Maybe you have a dream kitchen in mind, or maybe you have more of a general idea that you want a modern, clean design or something traditional and homey. Either way, the Tile Importer’s Design Centre expert can help you make choices like cabinets, sink, faucet, lighting, countertops and flooring that will make your kitchen remodel not only a great investment, but your favourite room in the house.