The best way to deal with a leaking tap is to fix it immediately. Prolonged leaking water in your home can eventually lead to aesthetic, safety and health issues. Also, even small drips can lead to 15 litres of wasted water in a month, so tap repairs should not be overlooked.
Tile Importer shares some quick tips on how to fix a leaking tap.
How do you quickly fix a leaking tap?
Even though tap technology has progressed in the past few years, the most common tapware issues are still easy to fix. With a little know-how and some good tools, an experienced DIY-er can fix a leaky tap.
From a light drip to a stronger leak, the first thing you need to do is find the cause. It could be excessive water pressure, loose parts or pipe issues. All of these require a different approach on fixing the issue, and knowing it beforehand will save you more time and energy in applying the correct repair method.
Why Your Bathroom Tap is Leaking
Here are the four ways you can determine what is causing the leak.
- To check the source of the leak, identify if water is pooling around the taps stem. If there is, the O-ring would need to be replaced or the packing nut would have to be tightened.
- If the water is coming from the spout, there must be a problem with the handle. For this one, know what type of tap you have. There are generally four types: ball, disc, cartridge and compression. however, cartridge faucets are one of the most common types. If that’s the case, you’ll need to have a cartridge replacement. These are found in all Mixer type tapware.
- For leaks under the sink, dry everything off first to see where the leak comes from. Usually, the source of this leak can come from loose water supply connections or a loose sink drain or P-trap.
- If you have a compression tap, which is more common in older homes, the rubber seals may have been damaged overtime, so you need to have them replaced.
Prepare your tools
- Adjustable wrench or spanner – for tightening packing nuts
- Flat-head screwdriver – for removal of screws
- Replacement parts – O-rings, washers or a cartridge
- Rags and white vinegar – for quick cleaning and removal of grime build-up
- Plumber’s grease or Teflon tape – used for lubricating and protecting the parts in faucet replacement
Stop a leaky faucet
- Turn off the main water supply. Close the shutoff valves or the main water valves and avoid over tightening as this can cause damage.
- Cover the drain to avoid losing small screws if you take the tap apart. Conceal other holes or you can also place a rag down the pipe.
- For a cartridge mixer tap, access the screw by prying the cap open with a screwdriver. If your tap doesn’t have a cap, the screw might be under a sticker on top or beneath the handle front of the cap. You will most likely need an allen key to remove the handle on a mixer tap.
- Once the screw is exposed, remove it, then remove the handle. Remove the retaining nut exposed by turning it counter-clockwise using an adjustable wrench then set it aside.
- Remove the U-shaped clip in the faucet body by inserting a screwdriver and gently prying it away. Using the plastic tool that comes with your new cartridge, place it on top of the old one and line it up with the tabs of the old cartridge.
- Using an adjustable wrench, grab the top of the plastic tool and twist the cartridge to loosen it.
- Remove the plastic tool and pull the cartridge stem to fully remove the old cartridge.
- To install the new cartridge, apply plumber’s grease to the O-rings and rubber seals. Then pull the stem to open the cartridge.
- Place the cartridge on the tap body and push down, making sure the tabs are aligned, then place the retainer clip back to its slot.
- You can now reassemble the tap, making sure to replace the nut and other parts. Turn the water back on and test if there are any leaks.
The most common tap problems can be easily fixed, and knowing how to do it yourself offers a lot of advantages – it avoids further damage on your tap, lowers your water bill especially if it’s immediately managed and your knowledge of doing quick fixes around the house is improved.
However, more complicated issues like leaking pipes or running toilets can be very challenging and will need your plumber’s attention. If you experience severe plumbing problems, turn off the main water supply and better to call your plumber immediately.
What other products do you need for your bathroom?
A bathroom improvement adds value to your home, makes it modern and on-trend and makes it adaptable to your current needs. Doing a bathroom remodel will add enhancements that will benefit you and your family for many years.
If you’re looking for functional bathroom tapware or stylish bathroom products for your renovation needs, choose high-quality and efficient products that will last a long time. These changes will definitely improve the functionality, comfort and aesthetics of your bathroom.
Your Trusted Supplier of Quality Home Improvement Products
Tile Importer provides a wide array of high-quality materials and products for your home construction or renovation needs. From what you need to fix a leaky faucet to a complete bathroom renovation, our team of experts is committed to give you professional advice, great customer service and fast delivery to ensure your satisfaction.
For enquiries, contact us today at (03) 9562-7181 or fill out our online form.